12/4/12

MOVIE REVIEW: Rise of the Guardians (PG)

I just came back from watching Rise of the Guardians, I thought it was a stupendous movie. If you can only see one movie this year, I'd definitely recommend this one.

The writing was very well-done, especially for a Dreamworks movie. As Dreamworks tend to use toilet humor and badly written characters, this movie had scenes that made me laugh out loud and marvel at how wonderfully written the characters are.

The plot was very interesting as well, a few parts during it, I was having a little difficulty catching up to the story. But those moments were far and between.

Also, the voice work in this was extremely well-done, you could tell that the actors were very into their characters. Alec Baldwin's performance as Santa was incredible, you could hardly tell that it was his voice.

The music, although a tad generic, was fantastic as well. There were a few problems that I had with the movie though.

Chris Pine's voice sounded too old for Jack Frost, he was still good, don't get me wrong. But as a character that's supposed to be the fun-loving  and reckless, Chris Pine's voice just sounded off to me.

Then there's Jude Law's performance as Pitch, I didn't like his performance as much. I wasn't quite sure what kind of voice he was trying to go with, but it sounded like he was trying to do an evil voice, a little too hard.

But those are minor nitpicks, I thought that the movie was amazing and given that after the movie was finished, everyone in the audience applauded, I think it's unanimous on what people thought of the movie. This is one movie that I'm definitely going to pick up when it comes out on DVD. I give it five out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment